Can you make pancakes over a fire?
With pancake day only 3 days away the most important question is can you make pancakes over a fire?
The answer is a firm yes, so if you’re out camping and want some pancakes or fancy making over your fire at home here is how.
- 1/2 cup of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 300g self-raising flour
- A teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 400ml plant-based milk (oat, almond, soya, coconut)
- vegetable oil for cooking
All you need to cook is warmth from the fire and hot flat surface to cook on
Don’t cook in the flames but use the hot embers, charcoal is an easier option as it’s easier to get the hot embers stage and you use less fuel. However wood will work just fine!
Cast iron cookware is the best and a crepe pan is a top choice as they are very flat and large.
You can use a cast iron griddle which has slightly higher sides but other than that there isn’t much difference.
- When the embers are hot place your pan onto the embers and pour a little bit of oil.
- Once spread and the oil is warm pour on pancake batter
- The proper way to tell when a pancake needs turning is when the bubbles in the top burst.
- Orange and sugar
- Lemon and sugar
- Banana and Nutella
Top tip: don’t forget to use firemizer under your charcoal or wood as this will help even out heat giving you an even burn which helps cook over a fire!